Friday, February 12, 2010

Diaper Duty

I did it.  I can't believe it, but I did it.  Three days ago I ordered 12 cloth diapers online.  They are likely to arrive this afternoon.  The truth is, I'm feeling pretty apprehensive about the change from disposable to cloth. (What if they leak? What if I hate them? Ohmygosh I'm going to have to do more laundry - a chore I'm not all that good at anyway. Wait - what if they leak?!?!)

I am excited, too, though.  M.R. has pretty sensitive skin, and her little booty never seems to dry out.  My kick-butt-and-take-names sister has been using them for at least a year now, and her kids never get rashes anymore.  And besides, I've even washed and folded her diaper stash, so I assume dealing with ours will be no different.

There is a long train of thought that brought me to the decision to switch to cloth diapers. It is, perhaps, a twisting, turning train, but that seems to be the way my mind works best. I'm not going to lie - it had equal parts personal and environmental motivation.  Saving money is always a big motivator.  And honestly, living in the suburbs of a huge city often makes me feel highly disconnected from the natural world. The P-I-A of doing more laundry will be, at its best moments, an "offering up" of extra work in service of Earthly stewardship. That sounded really fancy!  I guess it's just so easy to feel powerless in our culture.  Cloth diapering feels counter-cultural -- a departure from convenience -- and perhaps that is my mommy-way of sticking it to the man. 

Wait, I think I see the UPS driver pullling up... Here. We. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment